03 May 2012

Impossible Project PX600 COOL - Another Amazing Film From TIP


As any frequent visitor to this little photo blog knows... I kind of have a little crush on the Impossible Project and all of the films they have released over the past couple of years. I have made my best effort to get a hold of and try each different version of their film to test and eventually post about here on my blog. To the best of my knowledge, I'm pretty close to having shot almost every film they have released... though I know there are a few I've probably missed. Now, for the most part, I have had positive experiences with each film despite the little problems here or there. This new Impossible Project PX600 COOL film though, well... it has me wanting to gush in a whole new way. 


Yesterday, after finishing up a few older packs of film that I've been storing in my fridge, I finally loaded up the one pack of this film that I have. I took two images while out shooting some video content on location and instantly saw the potential of this film and how beautiful it could be, but, I wasn't truly sold on the extent of how great this film really is until I brought it back into the studio to shoot some controlled setups - Those two images are what I'm posting here today. Each was shot using controlled natural light with an SX70 Sonar, an ND pack filter, using a tripod with the lighten/darken wheel one notch to dark.




As you can see, this film is crisp and has a beautiful dynamic range. So far I've seen very few flaws of any kind in this film or it's development. Everything seems to consistently come out evenly developed without any patches, snakeskin, funky highlights or dark bars running through the image. Really, I've been a fan of TIP's black and white films from the beginning and the PX100 has recently been one of my favorites, but, this new PX600 Cool may just be the best film the Impossible Project has put out to date. This is the kind of stuff that makes me happy to be a part of shooting, testing and experiencing the growth of this company in real time and I can't wait to see how far they can push it in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment