10 February 2012

Impossible Project New PX70 Beta Test Film - Pack One


I finished up my first of two packs of the new PX70 test film from the Impossible Project. I posted a few of those photos earlier in the week. This post is pretty much what I had left in the pack after I took those couple photos. In total, I ended up with six photos from the first pack... two, for some reason, got stuck in my camera. I'm not sure if it was a sticky pack issue, or if my camera is having some problems of it's own.


Like most people, my experience with this film has been really positive. The improvement in color is dramatic and noticeable. There's a nice bit of latitude in the tonal range and like the PX 100 test film I shot in December I've noticed that the point of focus in my photos seems to be sharper than in previous versions of the Impossible film.




I've shot now under a couple different lighting conditions - indoors with professional grade artificial lighting, outdoors with available light, and indoors using just a lamp. There is definitely a color shift depending on your light temperature and the best color is seen around daylight balance. Early versions, especially the push, didn't seem to favor color temperature one way or another... everything generally had that beautiful magenta shift no matter the light conditions. This is definitely a more accurate daylight balanced film. And of course, like all Impossible films, temperature plays a big role in the development process of the new PX70. That goes for the development time, overall contrast and plays a role in color shifting.



The one thing that I have noticed about this film is that my photos have had really long development time. Of course, the color film from Impossible have always taken longer to develop than the black and white, but my experience with this film so far has been up to 15-20 mins on average to get a fully developed photo. It's not really a problem, just a minor inconvenience with the shooting style I've developed while working with Impossible Project's films. Generally, I like to shoot, see what I get and then adjust and reshoot if necessary. When I have to wait twenty minutes to find out if I need to make adjustments it makes that process a little difficult.


So far though, I love this film and the progress I see every time the Impossible Project roles out a new film. I still have one pack of the test film left and hope to be shooting (and sharing) those photos soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment